Monday, June 14, 2010

Words I am Biased Against


Azure (adj) blue as in "The azure bay called out to my soul." How do you really pronounce this word. I never heard it or read it until I moved to MFA school.

Gunmetal grey (adj) Are guns really grey? I think more often they are black. When you say gunmetal do I really know what you mean? I have never seen a gun except on TV.

Obtuse (adj) too dense to get it. I just dont like the way it feels in my mouth. I know its not a dirty word, but it sounds like one to me. Perhaps I'm obtuse for thinking such.

Saliva (noun) spit. When I was a kid, I decided this reminded me of getting your fingers crunched in a car door. There is no logical connection, but I still think about it.

I'm sure there are others, and as I think of them, I will let you know. Do you have any words you are biased against?

3 comments:

Odelysse said...

Moisture- I don't like the way it feels against my tongue.
worchestershire- I can never say it correctly.

Unknown said...

utilize - people say it to sound more "business-y", when they really just mean "use". If you can say it in three letters, do it. If you really mean it to say "took advantage of my resources", say that. It's clearer.

Alessandra said...

another word: supine- i heard a dirty man read a dirty poem and i now can not say this word out loud.

Ode and Rackl - thanks for sharing, i'm glad I'm not the only one who has these thoughts!