Monday, December 05, 2011

D is for Discipline

I've been reading this book Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos C. Markides. Though I am only 52 pages in, it has already shaken up my ways of thinking about a few small topics such as the purpose of life and the role of faith in the world.

One thing that is clear to me is that I desire discipline and yet lack it. Examples: somehow there is more laundry to do; one cookie or two; shall I turn off the light all the way in the back of the house with my shoes on or off; meager prayers. My desire doesn't seem to be enough to enact discipline. Is it that my daily schedule is set up in a way that demands distraction and tiredness? Am I just overwhelmed with details and can't look at the bigger picture? Or is it the bigger picture that overwhelms me and so I go play scrabble online?

Whatever the cause, reading this book is making my desire for discipline greater. So where to start: climb the stairs, do not take the elevator. A monk's lifestyle revolves around disciplines found in austere, non-distracting living conditions, chants, meditation. While running off to a monastery isn't an option for my life right now, I could implement times for chanting and meditations. Two sources that have been helping me do so are The Divine Hours edited by Phyllis Tickle and Sacred Space

4 comments:

jenchilee said...

i read these two posts one after the other. they seemed related, however distantly. i leave it up to you to decide:

http://inwardoutward.org/2011/12/06/calculation

Alessandra said...

Hey JCL, Yes, I think there is good overlap there. thank you for sharing. Miss you.

Unknown said...

Mountain of Silence! This is the book you were recommending to me.

Intentionality (that is, setting things up to make it easy to do the things you want to have done on purpose) has been a big theme in my thinking and prayers lately. This whole book on discipline sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out. Have you been able to have more discipline and silence in your life?

Alessandra said...

Hi Rachel, Yes, you should read this book, because it's so interesting I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I don't think I've been very much more disciplined. But I have been trying to set aside times to be quiet and listen, write, and pray. How are you? Love, A